Organization: Lincoln Park Zoo
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Provide technical assistance to the veterinary department.
• Under general supervision, assists veterinarians in the medical care of the animal collection including all species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates.
• Assists with coordination of the activities of veterinary and veterinary technician students, volunteers, and other individuals as directed by zoo veterinarians.
• Operates the diagnostic laboratory.
• Assists in veterinary and animal emergencies.
• Organizes and maintains pharmacy including rotating inventory, removing expired products, and ordering pharmaceuticals and supplies, under the direction of veterinarians.
• Dispenses and administers medications and vaccinations as prescribed by veterinarians.
• Administers anesthesia under the direction of a veterinarian, monitors said animals under general anesthesia, and assists in surgery.
• Prepares biological specimens for shipment.
• Maintains accurate records, including computer entry for medical records.
• Operates and maintains radiographic equipment.
• Supervises and performs cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of surgical instruments, equipment, and hospital and operating areas.
• Assists in any special maintenance project as required.
• Assists in maintenance of zoo hospital in a clean and orderly condition.
• Performs other related duties required by veterinarians to maintain and operate the hospital safely and efficiently.
• Assist in educational and/or research programs as requested.
• Assist in preparation and presentation of training programs for zoo volunteers, new employees, and staff as requested.
• Conduct tours for visitors and volunteers as requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Must obtain valid State of Illinois registration as a veterinary technician within six months of employment and maintain this license with respect to CE and ethics.
• Ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow oral and written instructions, and otherwise communicate effectively and efficiently with co-workers and supervisor.
• Knowledge of computer programs of basic word processing, spreadsheets, and internet database access.
• Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, our visitors, and the general public.
• Must demonstrate knowledge of occupational hazards involved and the safe work practices to employ while in proximity of potentially dangerous animals or substances.
• Completion of an accredited veterinary technician program.
• Preference will be given to those with at least one year of veterinary technician experience, preferably with exotic animals.
• The employee is regularly required to stand, walk , stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 lbs. The employee will be exposed frequently to outside, potentially adverse, weather conditions. The employee will be regularly exposed to water, chemicals, and potentially loud noises.
• Must be able to work after hours, weekends, holidays, and evenings as required and for zoo special events.
• Must be able to work any of the seven days of the week.
• Possession of and able to maintain a valid Illinois driver’s license with good driving record.