Organization: The Calgary Zoo
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
The City of Calgary has the following permanent employment opportunity available at the Calgary Zoo:
Reference # 201654
Closing Date: 07-12-2012
Basic Job Information
Posting Title: Lead Zookeeper
Business Unit/Section: Civic Partners/The Calgary Zoo
Location: 1300 Zoo Road N.E.
Union/Position: CUPE Local 37/Permanent
Compensation: Lead Zookeeper
$25.12 - 28.26 - 31.40 per hour (Under review)
Hours of Work: This position works a 38 hour work week with shared weekend and evening work.
Business Unit Information
The Calgary Zoological Society is committed to excellence in animal stewardship and conservation leadership. Our staff and volunteers are what make us a success in these activities and keep us focused on our commitment to engage visitors in enjoyable and unique experiences, connect our community with nature, and inspire actions which support conservation.
Reporting to the Curator, this position provides leadership in the day-to-day care of animals in the collection, maintains the holdings & displays for these animals, ensures that approved standards & protocols are consistently maintained, organizes & presents educational Keeper talks & demonstrations for the public, answers queries asked by visitors & gives guidance/direction to other staff assigned to the section. This position will initially be assigned to ;penguins and program animals areas, however, may move to, & work in other sections as required. Primary responsibilities also include:
• Provide direction/guidance to Keepers through leading, training & developing staff & ensuring a safe work environment.
• Work with Curator in the development of new husbandry protocols for a variety of animal sections & represent the Area Curator in their absence.
• Feed & care for all animals in assigned sections, & report dietary problems & initiate changes in diet composition or presentation.
• Transfer animals between sections, to the hospital & in & out of the zoo, detecting deviations in the animal's normal physical or psychological behaviour & accompanying animals to or from other zoos & assist Veterinarians in all aspects of animal treatment within the assigned section.
• Maintain the exhibits & holding sections in a proper state of cleanliness & order.
• Develop behavioural enrichment programs for selected animals & establish a thorough written routine for assigned sections.
• Assist the Emergency Response team in animal events.
The successful applicant(s) must possess a Certificate in Zoo and Aquarium Technology (ZAT), or equivalent, or relevant degree & four years experience with ZAT, or equivalent, or seven years experience with a related degree. Experience must include working with animal husbandry & awareness of animal welfare & conservation; experience working with birds, specifically penguins, as well as reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates is an asset.
A valid Class 5 Driver's Licence (or provincial equivalent) with no more than six demerits, no current suspensions or charges pending is required. The applicant(s) must meet this position's medical standard including required vaccinations & negative tuberculosis (TB) exposure with regular monitoring. Success in this position requires strong customer service, teamwork & functional/technical skills & advanced leadership skills are required to develop peer relations, while maintaining integrity and trust in meeting organizational goals.
• Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
• Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized as meeting the minimum qualifications.
• Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
• Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis before the closing date.
The City of Calgary values a diverse workforce
Apply online at www.calgary.ca/careers
Or Apply directly to The Calgary Zoo at:
The Calgary Zoological Society
1300 Zoo Road NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 7V6
Fax: (403) 695-3807
PLEASE NO PHONE INQUIRIES
All applicants are thanked in advance and are
advised that only those individuals selected for
interviews will be contacted.
All Applications will be forwarded to the City of Calgary