Organization: Tulsa Zoo
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Job or Internship: Job
POSITION TITLE: ZOOLOGICAL CURATOR - MAMMALS
The Tulsa Zoo is currently seeking an experienced manager to provide leadership and support to the Zoo’s mammal department and diverse living collection.
Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Environmental Resources, Wildlife Management or a related field. A minimum of five years experience in the care of wildlife or exotic animal collection including two years of supervisory experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies. Must have a valid drivers’ license and be insurable by the insurance carrier.
Under general supervision, directs and oversees the activities of the department to ensure and promote effective and efficient care of the department's assigned collection. Responsible for the acquisition and disposition of specimens, planning and implementing of breeding and research programs, and overall management of departmental staff and finances. Develop and present educational programs and exhibits in area of expertise to the public and media. Reports to the Vice-President of Animal Conservation and Science.
- Demonstrates great communication and leadership in all areas of department management, staff development, and inter-departmental collaboration.
- Directly manages staff of three Zoological Managers and over twenty Zookeepers.
- Responsible for animal care/management of a diverse mammal collection including but not limited to, chimpanzees, Asian elephants, rhino, hoofstock, sealions, and large cats/canids.
- Communicates with the veterinary department to ensure optimal health care, including preventative health program, for the assigned animal collection; assists veterinarians with medical procedures and examinations as necessary.
- Works closely with the Curator of Behavioral Husbandry in the development of and participation in enrichment and operant conditioning programs for animals in assigned collection. Includes evaluation, record keeping and training of subordinates, co-workers and volunteers.
- Works with Curator of Education, Curator of Exhibits & Design and Vice-President of Animal Conservation and Science to develop interpretive graphics and programs for animal exhibits.
- Develops and manages departmental annual budget.
- Participates in a wide variety of AZA conservation and administrative volunteer duties and activities and other related professional groups. Represents zoo at professional conferences and workshops and/or as a member of professional advisory groups, management groups, and other committees.
- Designs, initiates and oversees viable managed breeding, husbandry and conservation programs for species in assigned collection in cooperation with relevant Association of Zoo and Aquariums (AZA) programs such as Species Survival Plans (SSPs) and Taxon Advisory Groups (TAGs), state and federal wildlife agencies, etc.
Working Environment: Working environment is indoors in an office setting and outdoors and in inclement weather; and may be exposed to animal waste/dead animals, animal inflicted injuries, biohazards, and hazardous chemicals.
Salary: Starting range $45,000-$55,000 commensurate with experience. (Full time salaried exempt)
To apply, please provide resumé electronically in Word format to Tulsa Zoo Human Resources Director Betty Pirnat – email@example.com. Please include “Mammal Curator” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. EOE