Organization: The Calgary Zoo
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
The Calgary Zoological Society is committed to excellence in animal stewardship and conservation leadership. Our staff and volunteers are what make us a success in these activities and keep us focused on our commitment to engage visitors in enjoyable and unique experiences, connect our community with nature, and inspire actions which support conservation. If you would like to be part of this team, we have the following full time permanent position available:
General Curator, Animal Care
Accountable to the Director, Animal Care, Conservation & Research, this position is responsible for the management of the animal collection, personnel, facilities and programs of the animal care areas of the zoo.
• Provides daily direction and supervision to Curators.
• Ensures animal enclosures and day to day standards exceed minimum AZA accreditation standards.
• Ensures accurate, current records are kept on each animal and exhibit.
• Looks for opportunities to improve and streamline procedures, processes and documentation.
• Responsible for the preparation and monitoring of yearly budget in consultation with the Director, Animal Care & Research, ensuring financial targets are achieved.
• Involved in animal collection planning, and animal acquisitions and dispositions; assisting in exhibit design.
• Participates in AZA and other professional organizations.
• Involved in developing and maintaining Institutional Collection Plans for each species in the zoo.
• Accountable for the development and implementation of standards and best practices in animal husbandry.
• Oversees Emergency Response Team activities.
• Accountable for the oversight and consistent implementation of the Calgary Zoo Animal Care Training Program.
• Works collaboratively with other departments and zones in the design and delivery of superior customer experience.
• Liaisons with Communications department and completes media interviews as required.
• Ensures compliance with health, safety and environmental legislation and regulation as well as Calgary Zoo policies and procedures.
• Complies with collective agreement, Zoo policy or relevant legislation in the management of staff.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Veterinary science, or experience in related field.
• 10 plus years of animal management experience with a minimum of 5 years of direct animal management in an accredited institution
• 8+ years of experience in direct staff supervision.
• Experience managing a unionized workforce would be considered an asset.
• Demonstrated experience in sourcing, initiating, and facilitating animal transfers.
• Exceptional problem solving, analytical skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
• Expertise in leading and implementing business change.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills in a team environment.
• Self-starter, skilled at proactively identifying areas for improvement.
• Ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, specifically within the Animal Care department.
• Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License.
Physical Demands of Position:
• Daily on–grounds mobility required, some heavy lifting requirements, working on weekends and statutory holidays may be required.
What the Zoo has to Offer:
• Competitive compensation package
• Annual performance bonus
• Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account
• Employer matching RRSP program
• Competitive vacation and flex days entitlement
• Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise
• A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members
• A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a covering letter, in confidence, no later than November 30, 2012. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
The Calgary Zoological Society
1300 Zoo Road N.E.
PLEASE NO PHONE INQUIRIES.
All applicants are thanked in advance
and advised that only those individuals
selected for interviews will becontacted.