Organization: Silverton Casino and LodgePosition Title - Aquarium Manager
Location: Las Vegas, NV, us
Job or Internship: Job
Salary - 55k-65k
The Aquarium Manager provides leadership, supervision, and guidance for all Aquarium Operations, and works in direct coordination with the Aquatic Safety Manager, who oversees the Dive Team and Mermaid Performers.
This position is directly responsible for the care and maintenance of a 117,000 gallon marine aquarium that stands as a showpiece and major attraction for the Silverton Hotel and Casino, jellyfish exhibits that are part of an aquarium-themed lounge area, and associated quarantine facilities.
The position also coordinates the care and maintenance of fresh water exhibits. The Aquarium Manager supervises all aquarium staff and provides support for Mermaid Shows and Educational Presentations.
This position will continually develop strategic and tactical goals for the Silverton Hotel and Casino to provide healthy habitat for animals and an enjoyable experience for customers. Essential Functions:
1. Directs all aquarium operations including, but not limited to: animal husbandry, aquarium maintenance, educational/research programs, and staffing to establish priorities and procedures for achieving the overall goals of the operation of the aquariums at the Silverton Hotel and Casino.
2. Staffing: monitors the performance of staff, which includes hiring, scheduling, ongoing training and performance reviews to ensure productivity and quality of service.
3. Budget: controls budgetary expenses to ensure cost-effective operations.
4. Animals: Provides guidance and overall assessment of quarantine procedures, monitoring of animal health, diet and behavior. Provides direction on fish treatment.
5. Life Support Systems: Provides supervision and guidance for all aspects of water filtration equipment. Provides overall assessment and monitoring of water chemistry and water quality parameters.
6. Safety and Maintenance: Maintains all equipment and work areas in safe fashion and in good repair. Provides supervision regarding preventive maintenance programs and safety protocols.
7. Works in conjunction with the Aquatic Safety Manager to insure safe and proper cleaning of dive equipment, aquarium, and proper implementation of Mermaid Shows.
8. Education: Provides leadership, supervision and guidance for all aspects of educational presentations, programs and/or materials that the corporation chooses to offer through the Department of Aquarium Operations.
9. Company goals and objectives: Works with management and staff of the Silverton Hotel and Casino to assist and promote goals of the corporation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an individual assigned to this job classification and is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required to Perform Work:
-Thorough knowledge of large (20,000 gallons plus) aquarium systems including life support systems for fish, animal husbandry, maintenance needs, and quarantine protocols for a large variety of marine species that meet and/or exceed professional industry standards.
-Thorough knowledge of fish biology and behavior.
-Thorough knowledge of principles of water filtration and tank cycling.
-Thorough knowledge of chemical safety.
-Understanding of dive protocols and safety procedures for working within a 117,000 gallon salt water aquarium.
-Candidate should be familiar with professional standards, procedures and documentation techniques to ensure the entire aquarium division meets and exceeds general industry standards.
-Familiarity with breeding and propagation techniques.
-Candidate should either be scuba certified or be prepared to become scuba certified.
-Knowledge of business administration.
-Strong management skills with experience and understanding of best management practices and principles.
-Knowledge of budgeting principles, policies and procedures.
-Ability to effectively communicate, motivate, and inspire the confidence of staff.
-Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically, both orally and in writing.
-Strong track record as a team player.
-Strong track record as a leader.
-Positive attitude, self-starter with good organizational skills.
-Ability to see the overall picture while paying attention to details.
-Innovative problem-solver with a sense of humor. Minimum Requirements:
-10 years experience working with a large (more than 20,000 gallons) public-oriented aquarium facility showing continual increase in responsibility.
-2 years management experience within a public display aquarium (either non-profit or corporate run).
Please visit www.Silvertoncasino.com and click on the careers link at the bottom of the webpage for the application.