Organization: Zoological Society of Milwaukee
Location: Milwaukee, WI, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
Join our team of educators and volunteers in the Zoological Society of Milwaukee’s Karen Peck Katz Conservation Education Center at the Milwaukee County Zoo. Our education programs are designed to help children develop environmental and scientific knowledge through fun, hands-on learning. Work with youth ages 2-14 in our 2013 Summer Camps assisting instructors in the classroom and leading Zoo tours. Interns also supervise high school volunteers and assist with material preparation. Interns are mentored by education staff and required to focus on professional skill development through self-reflection and experiential learning.
1. Help lead educational activities and Zoo camp tours for children
(primarily ages 4-9).
2. Help prepare classroom materials.
3. Supervise and evaluate high school assistants.
4. Learn career-related skills that help prepare you for the professional workplace.
5. Learn to analyze and develop your skills through reflective journaling
and mentor relationships with education staff.
6. Some team-teaching opportunities available for those who are interested.
(Position does not allow for direct animal handling. Housing not provided.)
1. Must be a current college student or recent college graduate (up to one year past graduation date).
2. Must have some experience with children and demonstrate public speaking skills such as enthusiasm, voice inflection and varied facial expressions.
4. Must exhibit consistent professional characteristics such as a positive attitude,
ability to show initiative, emotional maturity and self-responsibility.
5. Physical movements required: Must be able to walk through the Zoo for up to two hours;
must be able to kneel, squat and carry material storage boxes.
6. International applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without Zoological Society sponsorship.
7. Attend ALL Required Trainings:
a. Intern training: June 4-8, 10-13 (approx. 8 a.m.-4 p.m.)
b. High school assistant training: June 12 (12 p.m.-8 p.m.)
c. Are you a student teacher and have questions about training date conflicts?
Call Patty with questions at 414-258-5058, ext. 419
• Cover Letter and Resume should be E-mailed (attachments only) by: Feb. 11, 2013 to Patty T.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: 2013 Summer Internship)
• Resume should reflect ALL EXPERIENCES with children (volunteer and paid) along with timeline
and description of work/ages.
• IF YOU QUALIFY, you will be contacted for a March interview date. Interview applicants must provide 2-3 letters of recommendation and fill out an application (which will be emailed upon notification of the interview). The application and letters of recommendation must be presented at the time of the interview. After the interview process is complete, applicants will be notified regarding whether he/she received a position by April 12, 2013.
• Questions: call Patty 414-258-5058, ext. 419 (8 a.m.- 4 p.m., M-F)
Pay Rate & Dates of Employment
Pay rate: $8.50 per hour (M-F, 8 hours per day)
Start date: June 4, 2013 End date: August 14, 2013
Work days off: July 3, 4 & 5 (additional days off need approval prior to hiring.)