Organization: Philadelphia Zoo
Location: Philadelphia, PA, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Under the direction of the VP for Conservation and Education, the Sustainability Program Manager develops and tracks Zoo-wide green policies in accordance with Zoo strategic initiatives and incorporating industry best practices; collaborates with other departments to plan for, identify and implement, and measure green practices; manages the engagement of staff, volunteers, outside vendors and concession partners in sustainable operations; and supports all conservation programs and activities. The Sustainability Program Manager is also responsible for financial aspects of the Zoo’s sustainability program, including budgeting and tracking, and will assist in grant-writing and other fund-raising efforts. The Sustainability Program Manager is responsible for developing the Zoo’s leadership position in local, regional, and national sustainability forums.
1) Provides leadership and guidance in setting sustainability policies that dovetail with strategic conservation platforms.
2) Directly manages some aspects of the Zoo’s sustainability program and manages some in collaboration with other departments. Troubleshoots with other departments to resolve implementation or tracking issues.
3) Leads the development of green protocols and participates in the recruitment process for outside vendors and concession partners; develops a system for oversight and for phasing green practices into existing contracts. Assists with implementation as needed.
4) Develops and regularly reports metrics that align sustainability initiatives with strategic goals.
5) Builds and maintains connections with outside organizations to stay current on sustainability topics, identify partnership opportunities and raise the profile of the Zoo.
6) Assists with budget development and tracking as it relates to areas of responsibility.
7) Develops internal and external communication vehicles on sustainability such as seminars, newsletters, signs, website, brochures, listserves, staff training, etc.
8) Develops and manages a staff Sustainability Committee to maximize impact and increase effective, consistent implementation of green operating practices.
9) Coordinates or assists with special events and fundraising activities related to conservation.
10) Leads or assists with identification and application to relevant outside funding sources.
11) Makes public presentations concerning the Zoo’s conservation activities.
12) Supervises interns and volunteers.
13) Assists with other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED
1) Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in biology, conservation biology, education or related field.
2) At least three years related work experience.
3) Excellent demonstrated ability to get work done through others.
4) Demonstrated effective organizational skills. Ability to develop, manage, coordinate multiple projects across multiple departments.
5) Demonstrated ability to write for varied audiences, including grant-writing.
6) Public speaking proficiency.
7) Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with professionals in the conservation and sustainability fields.
8) Ability to work independently.
9) Ability to work with and manage volunteers.
10) Ability to work a schedule that includes some weekends and evenings.
11) Experience developing and implementing an organization-wide sustainability plan a plus.
PHYSICAL & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
1) Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test and PPD.
2) Successful completion of a personal background check prior to commencing employment.
3) Able to safely lift, carry and load 40 pounds a distance of 50 feet.
4) Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
5) Able to remain on feet for long periods, climb stairs, bend and stoop.
6) No allergies to plants or animals which may interfere with the ability to perform work.
If interested, please complete our online application at: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=2688401