Organization: Audubon Aquarium of the Americas
Location: New Orleans, LA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Audubon Aquarium of the Americas is looking for a motivated individual to add to its Parakeet Pointe aviculture staff. This position will involve working in an outdoor aviary featuring a free flying collection of parakeets. The Aviculturist II is responsible for all aspects of animal health and exhibit care in assigned areas, as well as additional exhibits as husbandry coverage demands.
• Prepare and administer daily animal feeds.
• Keep adequate records with regards to feeding, health, and animal behavior.
• Maintain gallery and exhibit aesthetics as designated by supervisor.
• Coordinate with supervisors and veterinary staff to manage and treat collection as required.
• Participate in veterinary procedures including necropsies; and accept the use of euthanasia when necessary.
• Oversee volunteers and interns working within assigned areas.
• Interact with large and small groups for educational presentations.
• Participate in formal and informal guest education, including behind the scenes tours.
• A basic knowledge of avian behavior and care.
• An understanding of basic husbandry principles, including record keeping, disease recognition, nutrition and exhibit maintenance.
• Ability to plan, organize, and implement projects independently.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
To apply please visit the careers link at www.auduboninstitute.org